My children are 7 and 4 and I have spent the last few years listening to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Disney classics and Crayola Kids in my car. There have been times when I’d wake up in a sweat mumbling the words, “Can you feel the love tonight?”
I’ve had my husband quite worried.
But no more. I have spent the last year perfecting a playlist of adult music that kids love. It allows for about an hour of pleasant driving time. It could save your life, but you can thank me later.
- We Will Rock You – Queen (tempting to do the double clap and hand raise movement but not advisable if driving!)
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- Today Is Gonna Be A Great Day – Bowling For Soup (admittedly this is from Phineas and Ferb, which IS on the Disney channel. But the music from the show is awesome! Album only)
- You’ve Got A Friend In Me – Randy Newman
- Real Gone – Sheryl Crow
- Who Let the Dogs Out – Baha Men (our personal favorite, don’t let your kids listen too closely to the words).
- The Boys of Summer – Don Henley
- Tunnel Of Love – Dire Straits (an interesting choice, you may think. But no child of mine will survive until 18 without having some appreciation of Mark Knopfler).
- We Are the Champions – Queen (motivational after a soccer match).
- Affirmation – Savage Garden (this was my favorite song when I was pregnant with my first. I think it reminds my kids of the womb).
- Ghost Town – The Specials (kids dig the eeriness).
- It Must Be Love – Madness
- Don’t Worry, Be Happy – Bobby McFerrin
- One Way or Another – Blondie
- Ghostbusters – Ray Parker, Jr.
- Jump – Van Halen
- Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats
- Another One Bites the Dust – Queen
Want to freshen up your music collection with an eye toward family harmony in the car? Add your favorite adult song that kids dig in the comments below by midnight, April 6th, 2010 for a chance to win a $25 iTunes gift card (U.S. only please).
Like this? Get our monthly newsletter.